Business of Consulting Engineering
Consulting Engineering Business (Business Economics, Professional Practice and Management):
- Consulting engineering industry overview
- Structure of consulting engineering firms
- ECSA, CESA, FIDIC, CIDB and the learned institutions
- Codes of conduct
- Introduction to economics, markets, and supply and demand
- Communication, report writings negotiation, problem solving, conflict management relationship management, team work, liaison and coordination personal relations, networking, negotiating and report writing
- Quality and risk management
- Business integrity, morals and ethics.
- Principles of sustainability
Finance (Introduction to accounting and financial planning)
Introduction to Accounting:
- Basic accounting principles and practice
- Accounting rules and definitions
- The accounting process
- Income statement: income, gross profit, net profit/loss.
- Balance sheet: assets, liabilities and owners equity.
- Cash vs profit, cash flow management, working capital management.
- Key ratios: profitability, liquidity, efficiency, solvency.
Project Financial Administration
- Estimating, bills of quantity, and budgeting
- Principles of inflation and escalation
- Principles of life cycle costing and amortization.
- Principles of capital budgeting, present value, discounted future values.
- Contract financial administration.
Managing Project Income and Costs
- Fees: fixed (lump sum) vs time based vs percentage of cost of works.
- Project income: percentage complete, work in progress, invoicing, VAT, accounts receivable, debtor days.
- Project costing: timesheets, salary multiplier, expenses and reimbursable
- Project profitability.
- KPI’s (turnover per person, profit per person, utilisation rate.)
Introduction to South African Law:
- Roman Dutch Law and the South African legal system
- Law of delict, law of contract.
- Legal structure of business enterprises, sole trader, partnership, private company, public listed company.
- Procurement legislation.
- BEE legislation.
- Public vs private sector procurement and the CIDB Standard for Uniformity in Construction
- Occupational Health and Safety Act and Regulations.
Procurement of Professional Services and the Professional Services Agreement:
- Client/Consultant professional services agreement
- Joint venture agreement
- Sub-Consultancy agreement
Conditions of Contract for Construction
- Forms of contract: GCC, JBCC, FIDIC, NEC
- The role of ‘the Engineer’
Project Delivery (the process of managing an engineering project throughout the entire project cycle)
- Introduction to the concept of project management
- The project cycle
- ECSA and PROCSA Guideline Scope of Services and the duties of the consulting engineer
- ISO 9001 and Quality Management, project planning, control and resource management
- Risk management and risk assessments
- ISO 9001 and Quality Management
- Project inception and registration
- Liaison, communications, and meetings
- Time Management
- Client/consultant activities
- External and site factors
- Financial (cost estimating, control and reporting)
- Health and safety
- Design (drawings, calculations, specification, schedules and coordination)
- Contractual and procurement
- Contract administration
- Completion and close-out
- Operation and maintenance
- Project review and client feedback procedures.