CESA's Profile - click to download
Consulting Engineers South Africa (CESA) is a non-profit Organisation that represents for its members, a body that promotes their joint interests and, because of its standing, provides quality assurance for clients. Over 540 firms employing over 24 300 staff are members of CESA, with a total fee income in excess of R25 billion per annum.
CESA member firms offer:
- Adherence to quality management systems, and the basic tenets of commercial viability, on which CESA members' businesses depend, underwrite the quality assurance implicit in membership.
- A commitment to continuous education and to the upliftment of their staff and the communities they serve. Many firms have empowerment programmes, contribute to bursary schemes and assist professionals and construction companies to grow. The Construction Industry Charter is gazetted in terms of Section 9 of Broad Based Black Economic Empowerment (BBBEE) ,which informs transformation and is the basis on which public sector procurement takes place.
- Carry a required level of professional indemnity insurance, which provides clients with financial recourse in the event of non-performance, insufficient design, failure or neglect caused by the engineer.
- Implement and maintain an ISO based Quality Management System and the Business Integrity Management System (BIMS) in terms of the CESA Code of Conduct.
CESA is committed to the promotion of excellence in the consulting engineering industry. Through its members, CESA seeks to continuously improve the quality of life for society, by interpreting the environment and pioneering change, through partnering with all key stakeholders. In so doing, CESA strives to enhance the industry to make a credible impact on the communities that its members serve.
CESA members commit themselves to the upholding of engineering and professional standards and the maintenance of quality.
The organisation seeks to promote the interests of its members and their clients by:
- Regular client liaison meetings
- Publication of documents relating to the profession
- Practice notes and case studies to members
- Guidelines to members on professional practice matters
- A quality management programme
- Develop and share best practice with members and clients
- Publication of the Directory of Firms
- Accredited courses and workshops through the CESA School of Consulting Engineering
- Annual Convention and Engineering Excellence Awards
- Advice on contractual and procurement matters
- Annual sports events including golf and walk/cycle/run relays
Key Focus Areas
CESA has identified the following the strategic direction for the future of the organisation:
- to build capacity among members and clients regarding the business and procurement aspect of Consulting Engineering
- build partnerships with government and other stakeholders
- to address skills shortages in an expanding economy
- to maintain standards of professionalism and quality management
- to drive sustainable transformation
- develop and create an awareness among consulting engineers of environmental issues affecting the industry
- Ensure that good governance and integrity prevail within the industry and profession
- A well-structured organisation manages the activities of CESA and annually a President and Council are elected.
- A Council and Board of Directors meet regularly to organise and oversee activities.
- Administration is executed by a full time Directorate based in Johannesburg comprising 17 full time staff members.
- 12 Branches are active in nine provinces throughout South Africa.
- CESA has established a Young Professionals Forum to nurture the younger professionals and to promote the engineering profession
- CESA is the 10th largest member of FIDIC (International Federation of Consulting Engineers) which comprises 90 Member Associations.
- The Directorate has a Quality Management System in place and is ISO9001:2008 accredited.
- The Directorate has an Integrity Management System in place
- Is involved beyond the border of RSA through the Group of Africa Member Associations (GAMA), the FIDIC regional group.
- Together with other Built Environment Professionals organisations created a Built Environment Export Council (BEPEC)
Click to read: